Monday, February 14, 2011

Artist Film: Sally Mann

I thought the production on Sally Mann's photography was extremely intriguing. It was interesting to see the type of equipment she used, especially her work with glass negatives and extremely slow shutter speeds. I also thought it was fascinating to hear what types of things inspired her to take a photograph and how she achieved inspiration for certain ideas (especially how the man that died on her farm helped to further inspire her work for her show about death). The way in which she described her landscape photography as creating a womb-like effect, I felt was very accurate because that's exactly what I thought of when I looked at her images.
I also thought it was interesting to see her home life and how she sort of drew her fame from her controversial pictures of her nude children. I thought it was sad how that issue affected her and her family for so long because I personally thought the pictures were so beautiful and unique. It also provided greater insight into the daily challenges she faces, one being her husbands muscular dystrophy, and another one many people can relate to, which is her difficulty in beginning to take pictures again after she finishes a show. I thought the movie did a fantastic job of representing her distinguished talent and skill, yet still revealing her as human in showing the challenges she faces that any other artist may encounter as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment