Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Eugene Smith Documentary

I thought the work of Eugene Smith was very moving. The stories from his work in Japan really hit home the way he was able to capture the victims as part of a human race, not the enemy. I also thought the way they narrated it with some of his writing really provided a deeper insight into his life and point of view throughout his work, in particular his frustrations with LIFE magazine. It was really great to hear first hand from his second wife. I was surprised to hear they were 30 years apart and how they met. I think the way he constantly worried about his bills and money especially while in the psych ward even though his expenses were paid by LIFE was just simple proof of his mental issues. I was also fascinated watching how crafty he was in developing his photos in the middle of the night while in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment